so i’ve been inspired to write more after julia told me about her weekly letters
thoughts after interviewing aaron peirsol
1) the whole ‘see you at the olympics’ is never going to happen, ever. or maybe there’s like a 0000.0001% chance if he happens to be free
2) never interview on a hungry stomach. it hurts and you are distracted
3) try and figure out how to keep the interviewee on track, this is not the school newspaper where you already know/know of the person and know how to handle talking to him/her
4) concise! stay focused. after he started throwing me bones about recycling, water bottles etc i started to tune out which i felt guilty about at the time
5) annnnd i’m distracted, yet again. facebook creeped for a bit. i really need better focus. really listen and ignore tics ‘you know’ and such like that
yet again. it was great talking to him but he rambled and went on and i didnt want to cut him off but i had to. he seems really good (and passionate) about swimming so hopefully i’ll be able to cut a few gems out.
feeling free, walking after work. i’m in a beautiful city with people to meet, things to see, food to try. wandering into a shop like it’s some small town and striking up a conversation
then today, after la delicatesse. i know that what I needed was a quiet, solitary drink. oh well. i miss france. the french peole, the culture, so much. ughh in that faux drunk state of mind where i just need to have a nice long chat with someone. please, someone. qqn qui parle francais, stp. ahhh love. sappy. hopeful. work. france. vegetable soup. meeting people. a nice cold half of beer.
i am content. no farm life, but this isnt too bad either.
a random list of what’s on my mind, in pressing order
will blog again soon.
when i’m polishing off a box of laduree macarons. yes i bought myself a box of 8, it’s lasted me since tuesday which is an accomplishment by my standards.
so. birthday. posts on facebook. whoopee. i do appreciate the kindness, i really do. one of my resolutions (i do resolutions on my birthday since it’s my personal day) is to be happier. but really. it’s not all fun, this gap year. i am stressed in bouts in ways i don’t think i have ever been.
it’s stressful, planning, it is. perhaps it’s as a result of my personality, of how i choose to deal with it, 60% probably is because of this, but the rest is because free time is liberating and daunting, as i’ve written about before.
welcome to real life?
who decides this??? why can’t the world agree? 1 day for northern hemisphere, 1 day for southern hemisphere. Luckily Europe is all one day, and most of the Americas, but it’s still annoying.
For your reference: Americans change on March 11, 2012, and Europe is on March 25, 2012. ‘Spring forward, fall back’ so you lose an hour! (meaning one less hour of sleep). So, for the next two weeks, it’ll be an 8 hour difference for Europe-California, 5 for Europe-East Coast. FYI.
no photos but here’s another recipe:
I’m at my friend Mercury’s house in Zurich, it’s a mini-escape for the weekend and I’m really enjoying myself. We cook and eat, it’s what our friendship is based on, and it works.
Lamb chops, bone-in
Salt/Pepper, Olive Oil
1) Preheat oven to 425 F/220 C
2) line baking pan with foil, brush with olive oil
3) Brush honey onto lamb chops, avoiding the bone, then sprinkle chopped rosemary, salt/pepper, liberally on both sides, rest chops so bone is on the higher side
4) cut potatoes into halves horizontally (so they look like egg halves)
5) heat some oil, toss rosemary until fragrant, place potatoes flat side down and let cook until browned and crispy
5) brush potatoes with olive oil, stick into oven with lamb.
6) pull out lamb when no pink is visible/check temp (140 F for medium rare, 130 for rare)
7) let lamb rest for 5 minutes/plus, then serve.
simple and easy, best friday night dinner.
carnival (shrove tuesday/mardi gras):
35 kg of apricot jam makes
1500 doughnuts (past two days)
7 boxes of milk in one afternoon (normally we go through 4/day, and that’s from 6:30am-6pm)
6 employees (2 helpxers)
1 coffee machine that wouldn’t go fast enough
3 beverage refills from the storage room
covering the last oh 2 months? nov 25—mid jan, not including christmas vacation photos with the family. so really about a month’s worth—Rennes, Adele et Tanguy, Veronique, Lyon, Paris pt 4, Cave des Cimes, Lyon pt 3, Paris pt 5. whew. not sure how i edited down those photos, but let’s hope the internet works.